tabs do WHAT?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Jan 25 06:56:13 EST 2000

In article <86joac$l2s$1 at mach.vub.ac.be>,
Thomas Hamelryck  <thamelry at vub.ac.be> wrote:
>Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>:
>: like-sex-is-great-but-should-not-be-part-of-life-ly y'rs  - tim
>
>Good analogy, actually. Sex is great, but should never be forced
>on you.

Uh, I think you missed the point.  Sex *is* part of life (as a general
statement regarding humans), and there's no real way to avoid it.

>BTW, people here seem to have adopted the idea that if you don't like
>a particular feature of a language, you should abandon it (e.g., "You
>don't like indentation? Use Perl!"). But many languages have evolved
>exactly this way: users criticize, complain, praize and whine, thereby
>influencing the shape of the languge in question. You can find a very
>nice description of this process with respect to C++ in "The Evolution
>of C++ : Language Design in the Marketplace of Ideas", by Jim Waldo
>(Editor), James Waldo (Editor).

Uh, if you're going to refer to C++, I rest my case.

Note that many complaints about Python are taken seriously; however, the
indented block structure is considered a Core Feature of Python, and the
likelihood of its changing is pretty close to zero.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Have a *HAPPY* day!!!!!!!!!!