Python and GUI options

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 1 17:30:12 EST 2000

randy_shaffer at my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello,

> The softswitch application lives on Unix, as does the testing harness
> implementation at this time.  The developers who are my customers will
> be using the test harness via their NT workstations, which means that
> the test harness gui will be served up by a soft Xserver (Exceed).

If using a Windows X server is no problem, then you've got an enormous
choice. PyQt/PyKDE, WxWindows, PyGTK, PyGnome, FxPy, PyFLTK... There are
a lot of others, e.g. All of them are free,  quite good, quite easy to
use and very nice looking. PyQT, WxPython and some other also appear to
work on Windows - take a look at

  http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/808292924.247038364

for more options ;-). Be prepared to spend a few days evaluating them,
if you're taking it serious.

PyQt has the disadvantage that you need to spend money if you want to
run it on Windows - PyKDE and PyGnome obviously don't run on Windows at
all. WxPython depends on a lot of other stuff - WxWindows, and GTK or
Motif on Unix, and it can be tough to install everything; more difficult
still to demand from users that they go the same route. I don't really
like the widgets offered by Fox, on which FxPy is based - they look a
bit old-fashioned.

I'm quite fond of the clean object model of PyQt, with the signals and
slots for _really_ easy message/event based development, but for some
applications the Gnome canvas might be a godsent (caveat - I've only
read about that canvas, never used it myself, but it sounds good).

Going over to JPython might be another route - I'd say, try it out.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org