Python and GUI options

randy_shaffer at my-deja.com randy_shaffer at my-deja.com
Sat Jan 1 16:40:47 EST 2000

Hello,

I am building a testing harness for the components in my company’s
softswitch product.  I chose Python for this project because the
language and the libraries seemed very well suited for such a task.
The application is coming together nicely and I believe my choice of
tools was a good one.

The application’s architecture has fleshed out into a kind of model-
view-controller scheme.  I have implemented the majority of the model
and controller and now am considering implementation options for the
view (gui).

The softswitch application lives on Unix, as does the testing harness
implementation at this time.  The developers who are my customers will
be using the test harness via their NT workstations, which means that
the test harness gui will be served up by a soft Xserver (Exceed).

I have experimented with tkinter and the PMW library.  Things seem to
operate a bit slow.  The other options/considerations I’ve pondered are:

Move the gui to the Win platform – I’m not very proficient in MFC-land
and I’m worried.  Is there Python portability to Windows
problems/issues as well?

Can Viper help out here?  I get the feeling that it is not quite ready
for prime time.  Am I wrong?

What about JPython and the fabulous Java Swing library?  Am I asking
for trouble here?

What are your thoughts, please?

Randy Shaffer
Software Engineer