Which Python book?

Matthew Miller matthewm at es.co.nz
Wed Jan 5 18:29:21 EST 2000

Hi,

I can only comment on Learning Python which I find succinct and pretty
well structured. Some lengthier eamples would have been nice but the
book's approach is to expose some of the functionality of alot of the
modules through short scripts. On the occassions when I got stuck with a
language feature, I blamed the book but ultimately had to point the
finger at myself. For example, when catch multiple exceptions I was
using:-

try:
    statements
except exception1, exception2:
    staements

where the correct syntax is:-

try:
    statements
except (exception1, exception2):
    staements

The point I'm making is that their was only 1 reference (and possibly 1
example) which hinted at how-to catch multiple exceptions and if you're
skipping through the book quickly, then it can lead to problems. I would
give it an 8/10 as a learning source. Whichever book you go for, make
sure to get The Python Pocket Reference - it's invaluable. Good luck.
Matthew.