Which Python book?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 14:32:38 EST 2000

> > _Python Essential Reference_ is just what it says; a reference.
> > If, like me, you are an experienced (which says nothing about the
> > quality of my code ;^)) coder, you can use it to learn Python.
>
> Seconded.  If you already know a few languages, and already now OOP,
> then PER is fine to learn from.

OK, I learnt C from the excellent K&R (Old Testament), all the Unix
little languages, and many more besides.  I learnt Perl 4 years ago
purely from the man pages, and Perl 5 at the same time from
eavesdropping on the perl5-porters mailing list.  I like well written,
terse, books.  Given all of that it sounds to me as if I should remove
_Programming Python_ from my shopping basket and add _Python Essential
Reference_.  Your views are sought.

Ralph.