Whitespace delimiters suck

Mike Fletcher mfletch at tpresence.com
Mon Jan 31 13:22:29 EST 2000

Using voice dictation on my machine in PythonWin, this sequence becomes:

"class test colon new-line
py-def test underscore function open-paren close-paren colon new line
print open-quote foxtrot oscar oscar close-quote new-line"

and then I hit the backspace twice. Of course, I don't actually use the
(very awkward, I agree) navigation features (or even the
character-by-character spelling for that matter). Using the voice dictation
for basic input, using plain-English spellings, and creating a few simple
macros (e.g. py-def (def), py-equals (==), triple-quote
(\No-Space'''\No-Space), doublex (wx\No-Space \cap)) and redefining
underscore to have no spacing around it, while in an auto-indenting editor,
gives you a decent programming environment (though certainly not perfect).
You still need your hands, but you can let them hang at your side most of
the time. Compared to the pain of typing, a considerable improvement, but
still a long way from perfect.

This is using Dragon NaturallySpeaking and a little application for
customising its vocabulary, incidentally.

Enjoy,
Mike