Whitespace delimiters suck

tye4 tye4 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 20:04:34 EST 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote in message
news:000001bf63a1$832e5740
> I haven't used this script myself (I prefer indentation, for reasons
covered
> earlier), but there's no good reason it *can't* be used for its stated
> purpose <wink>.

I don't oppose indentation either. It's good for program readability, and
readability only. It shouldn't be part of the syntax. Whitespace end
delimiters are invisible and hence confusing and prone to error.
I've used some stupid Unix shell languages which fail if I add whitespace:

Without spaces (this works):
    $x=10
    $y=2+2

With spaces (doesn't work):
    $x  =  10
    $y  = 2 + 2

I thought they gotten rid of all such languages until I came across Python.
Good programming languages should be whitespace tolerant, and most of them
are.
(C++, Java, Ada, BASIC, HTML, Eiffel, Perl, Pascal, ML etc... really long
list.)

Why is my question about whitespace raise so many eyebrows? This feature is
commonplace.

-tye4