Using tabs effectively. Was: Why not use tabs?

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Fri Jan 21 11:41:43 EST 2000

Are you displaying e-mail using a Courier font (or other fixed-width font)
or with a variable width font? If the latter, the x characters may not line
up.

Both were cut and paste from vi. The first was with "set list" (I did erase
the "$" at the end of each line however). The tab setting was set to 4. All
other values between 1 and 8 will not make the x characters line up.

Otherwise I'm baffled as to why you can't reproduce the indented (intended)
result. Unless there really *is* a conspiracy going on. Hmmm....