Python Rocks!

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at armored.net
Wed Jan 19 21:25:26 EST 2000

> I suggest you go to other newsgroups and let them know how brilliant
Python
> is because it has an invisible block terminator.

So you're suggesting that we spam other newsgroups?  That's brilliant
advice.  It takes a real rocket scientist to think of this one.  That's just
like saying, "Hey, Mr. President!  Why don't we waltz on over to China and
brag about how many tactical nukes we've got!"  Yeah, real smart.  People
like you are the reason this planet has world wars, you know that?

> Since we are so lazy let's just skip the ending anything and just use
> indentation.

Maybe its this way for readability purposes, and not laziness?  In fact, I
find it makes much MORE effort on my part to use indentation to arrange
Python code than in C.  Yet I prefer Python's indent-oriented block
structure over C.  This is coming from a 12 year C programmer.

> Math:
> Before:
>     (2 + 3) * 5
>
> After Python rule:
>     (2 + 3
>             * 5

No.  Before is as you describe above.  Applying Python's indentation rules
strictly would be as follows:

(
   2+3
*5

> Before:
>     if (x == 5)
>     {
>         printf("blah\n");
>     printf("blah blah");

I'm sorry, you loose.  Unclosed brace error.  Please try again.

> Go ahead and convince these guys to switch do it the "Python Way".
> And Good luck. You will need it.

Why would we want to?  What makes you think that we have the right to
impress our views on other software developers?  Likewise, what gives you
the God-given right to impress your beliefs on us?  Calling us lazy and
attempting to incite people here to start a jihad in other newsgroups?  You
call that professional behavior?  I think not.  We don't NEED to boast about
our language of choice.  The language boasts for itself.

Go ahead and try and convince us to switch our ways.  And good luck.  You
will need it.