win32security, client privleges

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Feb 8 17:38:30 EST 2000

If you look up the MS docs for GetFileSecurity() you will notice the
following:

"""To read the system access-control list (SACL) of a file or
directory, the SE_SECURITY_NAME privilege must be enabled for the
calling process."""

Note that privileges are different than permissions.  So, you can use
the function below to enable the privilege for your session - just
pass ntsecuritycon.SE_SECURITY_NAME to this function...

[Taken from the book, which discusses this briefly...]

Mark.

import win32security
import win32api
import sys
import time
from ntsecuritycon import *

def AdjustPrivilege(priv, enable = 1):
    # Get the process token.
    flags = TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES | TOKEN_QUERY
    htoken =
win32security.OpenProcessToken(win32api.GetCurrentProcess(), flags)
    # Get the ID for the system shutdown privilege.
    id = win32security.LookupPrivilegeValue(None, priv)
    # Now obtain the privilege for this process.
    # Create a list of the privileges to be added.
    if enable:
        newPrivileges = [(id, SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED)]
    else:
        newPrivileges = [(id, 0)]
    # and make the adjustment.
    win32security.AdjustTokenPrivileges(htoken, 0, newPrivileges)

news:87pu3o$23i$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...