An FTP based Python Module repository (was Re: Imagemagick)

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Wed Feb 9 03:20:39 EST 2000

m.faassen at vet.uu.nl (Martijn Faassen) writes:
> tim wrote:
> [snip]
> > I'm not advocating not uploading to ftp's, and I'm not saying a central FTP
> > based archive (CPAN-like, or otherwise) would not be helpful or useful, and
> > appealing to many! (After all, it's a fairly frequently recurring thread
> > here---Deja search for CPAN in this newsgroup reports about 300 hits.) I
> > wish you all good fortune imaginable in your pursuit of a central python
> > FTP archive. I here merely muse over the curiously ironic case which this
> > thread has spawned out of.
> > Just ignore me. (-:
> Let's not ignore you. :) Am I the only one who thinks that this 'archive
> of Python modules' could be constructed pretty easily now that you gave
> us Parnassus? We can write a script that translates Parnassus's structure
> into directory structure, and then downloads everything through any
> download link given. Add an extra link to Parnassus download pages
> ('cached'), and open an FTP site if you like. Run this script once every
> while, or continuously in the background of something. And there we have
> our archive.

That would work, yes; however, I'm bit leery of basing the hierarchy on
somewhat "ad hoc" source, i.e. Parnassus. I'd be more comfortable with it
even if it had multiple maintainers.. :-P

Simple mirroring of the Parnassus hierarchy's remote links is trivial (*).

> Am I missing something? I'm not saying *Tim* should do this all this
> hard work (he's doing more than enough already), but am I the only one
> who considers this quite doable given Parnassus?

Yes, it is quite doable, providing Parnassus lacks SCPF (either human or
computer).

> Regards,
>
> Martijn

-Markus

--
"I've never understood why women love cats. Cats are independent, they
don't listen, they don't come in when you call, they like to stay out