An FTP based Python Module repository (was Re: Imagemagick)

chris patti cpatti at atg.com
Wed Feb 9 13:58:35 EST 2000

m.faassen at vet.uu.nl (Martijn Faassen) writes:

> tim wrote: [snip] > I'm not advocating not uploading to ftp's, and
> I'm not saying a central FTP > based archive (CPAN-like, or
> otherwise) would not be helpful or useful, and > appealing to many!
> (After all, it's a fairly frequently recurring thread > here---Deja
> search for CPAN in this newsgroup reports about 300 hits.) I > wish
> you all good fortune imaginable in your pursuit of a central python
> > FTP archive. I here merely muse over the curiously ironic case
> which this > thread has spawned out of.
>
> > Just ignore me. (-:
>
> Let's not ignore you. :) Am I the only one who thinks that this
> 'archive of Python modules' could be constructed pretty easily now
> that you gave us Parnassus? We can write a script that translates
> Parnassus's structure into directory structure, and then downloads
> everything through any download link given. Add an extra link to
> Parnassus download pages ('cached'), and open an FTP site if you
> like. Run this script once every while, or continuously in the
> background of something. And there we have our archive.
>
> Am I missing something? I'm not saying *Tim* should do this all this
> hard work (he's doing more than enough already), but am I the only
> one who considers this quite doable given Parnassus?
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

Indeed, nobody should ignore anybody.  This is one of the few forums
still extant on the USENET where the signal to noise ratio is still
well within tolerable ranges :)

In fact I think your idea could work, the only nit being that it would
be important to "never go backwards" e.g. never remove a module that's
been uploaded if say, its home site goes down and becomes unreachable
for eons.

That's my only issue with a possel-o-links, it's at the mercy of the
providing websites to be up all the time.

-Chris
Chris Patti \ Art Technology Group \ 617-386-1649 \ cpatti at atg.com