RC (was Re: Real Problems with Python)

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 12:21:25 EST 2000

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?= <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Vladimir Marangozov <Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr> writes:
>
> > Saying that "RC has excellent LOR", even when trash is recycled at high
> > rates, is disturbing.
>
> Sorry, I'm getting lost in acronyms, as we have a seen a lot on this topic
> so far.  RC is for reference counting, right?  What is LOR for?

LOR = locality of reference (I'm fairly sure).

Important for caches and things. Though I'd have to say worrying about
cache misses caused by Python's reference counting strikes me as, uh,
not especially productive, though I'd have to admit I'm not really
following every nuance of the discussion (Tim Peters and Vladimir
Marangozov being difficilt to understand in a technical discussion!
Gosh!).

I suppose VM page misses are more important...

Cheers,
MIchael