RC (was Re: Real Problems with Python)

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Tue Feb 15 14:42:29 EST 2000

On 15 Feb 2000 11:50:13 -0500, François Pinard wrote:
>Vladimir Marangozov <Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr> writes:

>> Saying that "RC has excellent LOR", even when trash is recycled at high
>> rates, is disturbing.

>Sorry, I'm getting lost in acronyms, as we have a seen a lot on this topic
>so far.  RC is for reference counting, right?  What is LOR for?

"Lord Of the Rings."  Tolkien's work was allegorical on many levels.  Ring
Counting (or RC), as in the books, helps to determine which objects need
to be destroyed.  However, Rings are naturally in cycles, so naive RC
didn't work to actually destroy the Ring.

I'll stop now.  Even though I really want to keep going.  "Reference
Counting" and "Locality of Reference" (the lack of which destroys the
usefulness of caching).

>> BTW, any comparison of RC with state-of-the-art GC is fine by me.
>As for GC, I figured it out :-).

"Guido's C" conventions?  Of course.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley, in hoc signo hack