Off Topic Posts

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Tue Feb 15 08:30:42 EST 2000

On 15-Feb-00 Andy Robinson wrote:
 >  Years back, I subscribed to comp.sys.next.programming,
 >  comp.sys.next./software, and comp.sys.next.advocacy.  It worked really
 >  well.  The 'advocacy' group was the place for flame wars, defending
 >  the honor of our superior engineering solutions, and general chat.;
 >  the 'programming' and 'software' groups had specific enough titles to
 >  be unlikely to atrract flames.  I've suggested this split a few times
 >  in the last five years and don't know why people want to keep it in
 >  one group.
 >
 >  But there's no point starting the official newsgroups creation
 >  procedure if only two of us feel this way.

I could do without the flame wars.  During the last three months the
number of posts have steadily increased from ~500 posts a week with very
few inflammatory posts to ~1000 posts a week with a significant part
being inflammatory. The last week there were ~150 post that I consider
being part of flame wars (whitespace, brackets, python sucks, and
related). I admit, I have posted a handful of these. Of course I can
filter them out, but I refuse to make new filters every day just to cope
with digital bullshit.

And what if I the increase continues? I say split, maybe even to more
than two groups. Or perhaps, make it moderated.

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343