MetaKit for python (Mk4py) on Macintosh ... no way :(

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at crao.net
Mon Feb 28 12:02:20 EST 2000

In article
<0742B938A78BCAFC.AB0DB1F0C0E47B85.C6975C7C6DCB99B2 at lp.airnews.net>,
claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:

> For some people, MetaKit's model specifically is
> *not* the relational one.  My guess is that

For me, it's "not really the whole model" ... but as nothing beats the
relational algebra at managing tons of structured data ...
(someone said something about the O2 model ?? u kidding ? I was talking
about real world ;-))

> rapid that you're probably going to need to give
> more details before readers conclude, "Ah!
> *That*'s his point."

The "Ah! *That*'s his point" is :

I need to do some good old
"SELECT obj1.a,obj2.c FROM obj1,obj2 WHERE obj1.d=obj2.e AND
obj1.f=value"

Well .... :)
more details ?
I've tons of data in objects, I need persistence but can't play with the
navigational model to search in those data. Any good way to map them to
tables and query the tables ?? (I'm too lazy to do it by hand and I'm
not sure I'll be able to do it in an efficient way).
One more thing : at some steps, I really need the data in objects.

> 		[description of
> 		situation that's
> 		about Python and
> 		the MacOS, and
> 		not specific to
> 		MetaKit]

I love my Mac I love my Mac I love my Mac ...
And as I imagine Python (I don't care if I'm wrong there) as a cross-OS
langage/environement, I code on my PowerBook when in the train or
sitting in a pub and deploy it on my linux box when back at home/office

> Do you care about multi-user operation ?

Kinda ... in fact, I need multi-processes access to my data. Yes it's a
problem with MetaKit.

> What are your scale and performance requirements?

About 200 000 objects to search in (but not too big objects) and ...
speed needed.
I've also another need managing millions of object but there, I don't
care about speed.

> In what way does Gadfly

Hey ! (/action takes notes about this "Gadfly") drop me an URL, I'll
check this !

Thanks a lot :)

Regards,

Arnaud