A comp.lang.python code snippet archive?

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 14:44:37 EST 2000

"Hans Nowak" <hnowak at cuci.nl> writes:

> On 28 Feb 00, at 16:03, Adrian Eyre wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't it be awfully neat if there were, say a website with all
> > > the code snippets ever posted to comp.lang.python?
> >
> > Not sure if it's still being updated or not:
> >
> > http://tor.dhs.org/~zephyrfalcon/snippets/
>
> I haven't had much time to add new stuff, lately. :(  Aside from that, I've
> been doubting if I should continue this project... is the site being used
> by anyone at all? Sometimes I doubt that, I do not get many reactions nor
> contributions. (Yes, I did get *some* snippets from some kind people,
> thanks!) Most of the code must be extracted from newsgroup messages, which
> is difficult for me to do these days, since every day over 100 new messages
> are posted.
>
> I would like to know:
> * if it's still worthwile to continue this site
> * what kind of improvements I could make (a search engine would be cool but
> I don't know much about CGI)
>
> Ideas, anyone?

I'd think it was worth continuing.  I'd also think it could be made
easier, however - I use gnus to read my mail, and I'd be damned if it
wasn't possible to rig things so that I could go 'M-x snippet' when I
was reading a suitable article and have it appear in the archive.

I know nothing about CGI either, I'd have to admit.

A zope product might work, too.  I have a zope account on the starship
that's just sitting idle.

I could probably be coaxed into spending a few hours on this...

oh-bugger-there-went-the-spare-time-ly y'rs
Michael

--
very few people approach me in real life and insist on proving they are
drooling idiots.                         -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp