Which GUI?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Tue Feb 22 17:42:17 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:
> At a moment, I needed some reference to creating things in canvas in
> Tkinter. I found this in the Tcl manpage:
>
>        pathName create type x y ?x y ...? ?option value ...?
>               Create a new item in pathName of  type  type.   The
>               exact format of the arguments after type depends on
>               type, but usually they consist of  the  coordinates
>               for  one or more points, followed by specifications
>               for zero or more item options.  See the subsections
>               on individual item types below for more on the syn-
>               tax of this command.  This command returns  the  id
>               for the new item.
>
> It took me a LOT of time to find out how to implement this in Python. It
> turned out to be some set of methods to Canvas, a different method for
> every `type'! I had to look it up in the source!

so you're telling us you found a method description on the Tk Canvas
manual page, and it took you a lot of time to realize that it probably
was a method of the Tkinter Canvas class?

you could have looked things up in the Tkinter handbook, of course:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/canvas.htm
(look under "methods" -- the create methods are described
first on that page)

</F>