Which GUI?

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Wed Feb 23 02:30:29 EST 2000

<quote name="Fredrik Lundh" date="951255737">
> Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:
> > At a moment, I needed some reference to creating things in canvas in
> > Tkinter. I found this in the Tcl manpage:
> >
> >        pathName create type x y ?x y ...? ?option value ...?
> >               Create a new item in pathName of  type  type.   The
> >               exact format of the arguments after type depends on
> >               type, but usually they consist of  the  coordinates
> >               for  one or more points, followed by specifications
> >               for zero or more item options.  See the subsections
> >               on individual item types below for more on the syn-
> >               tax of this command.  This command returns  the  id
> >               for the new item.
> >
> > It took me a LOT of time to find out how to implement this in Python. It
> > turned out to be some set of methods to Canvas, a different method for
> > every `type'! I had to look it up in the source!
>
> so you're telling us you found a method description on the Tk Canvas
> manual page, and it took you a lot of time to realize that it probably
> was a method of the Tkinter Canvas class?

No, it took me a lot of time it wasn't a *straight* method of the
Tkinter Canvas class. Why the *hell* isn't there just a 'create' method
but a seperate method for every type you can draw?!?

> you could have looked things up in the Tkinter handbook, of course:
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/canvas.htm
> (look under "methods" -- the create methods are described
> first on that page)

When I had my problem, it wasn't documented yet.

regards,
Gerrit.

--
Comparison Python GUI's: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/gui.html