(no subject)

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Fri Feb 25 01:54:39 EST 2000

<quote name="Tim Peters" date="951429366">
> [Def P]
> > I still don't understand the benefit of string methods
> > over oldfashioned string functions...
>
> The string functions aren't going away, so feel free to ignore string
> methods if they  don't appeal to you.

Aren't they becoming obsolete? Won't the string be deprecated?
Not sure what's the difference ;)

> At heart, I think they were driven by the upcoming introduction of a new
> Unicode string type.  Python 1.6 no longer has *a* string type, it's got
> two.  Viewing the various string operations as abstract methods on a variety
> of concrete string types is natural and appealing, while (possibly) adding a
> pile of new string *functions* that work sensibly *only* on Unicode strings
> (e.g., titlecase, byte-order mark fiddling, who knows?) would be unnatural
> and unappealing.  Special methods in a subclass are natural.

Where can I find more info on those Unicode strings, except in the source?
Will they be mutable (I don't think so)? What methods do *they* have?

> Using string methods certainly "looks different" at first, but the
> implementation has been available for several months (in the CVS development
> tree), and people who have *used* string methods uniformly report that they
> quickly come to like them (btw, "space.join(list)" is gorgeous!).

> So give 'em a try, or stop whining <wink>.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

> in-the-end-guido-is-simply-mysterious-ly y'rs  - tim

Indeed, I find [].sort() very irritating and often have this
function defined:
def sortlist(l, *args):
    apply(l.sort, args)
    return l