Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:31:48 EST 2000

Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Quinn Dunkan wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone done a #!/usr/local/bin/smalltalk
> > just-another-scripting-language? Would it even be smalltalk?
>
> Years ago I played with something called Little Smalltalk,
> which was something like that. It still seems to be available --
> have a look around in:
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.orst.edu/pub/budd/little

I believe Gnu Smalltalk is aiming at this space. Several other
implementations might well be adaptable.

I *think* Gnu Smalltalk just uses the "fileout" syntax. It's kinda like
having a workspace open. Squeak's PWS had a module that let you "do it"
and file in code from a web page, so in principle it's quite doable.

Also, the ANSI Smalltalk spec doesn't really support or mandate an IDE,
and took inspiration from Wilf-Brock's (I think) "Declarative Smalltalk"
stuff. So, an ANSI conformant program is, in principle, completely
describable in a textual format. Which would make it ameable to a #!
deployment.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.