Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:52:33 EST 2000

Tim Ottinger <tottinge at concentric.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:03:45 -0500, bparsia at email.unc.edu (Bijan
> Parsia) wrote:
[snip]
> >Sure. It drives me nuts when I *can't* use em :)

Just to be clear, I meant the Smalltalk IDE/world.

[snip]

> A fine idea would be if it just exported the part you wanted to edit,
> called your editor, and then re-imported automagically. Better if it
> can be done via menu click and/or keystroke.

Doable. I'm not sure how worth it. Smalltalk/X seems to integrate nicely
with things like CVS, though. The real challange is something like the
debugger or an inspector...these aren't about text.

(IDLE, in my experience, is fairly reasonable, indeed, I probably
wouldn't write any or, at least, much, Python without it. I certainly
see how it could be straightforwardly extended to make me feel pretty
comfy...a tribute, of course, to Python's reflection capacities. There's
this time/energy problem though...:))

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.