Problems compiling Python on HP-UX 11

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at alumni.stanford.org
Thu Feb 3 16:24:49 EST 2000

I am trying to build python 1.5.2c on an HP-UX B.11.00.  I think the
first few items are relatively simple errors in the build scripts. (I
ran configure and clean first).

1) Using HP's ANSI-C compiler, I get the following error (under the
Parser build)
        cc -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -O -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c
printgrammar.c
        cc -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -O pgenmain.o acceler.o grammar1.o
listnode.o node.o parser.o  parsetok.o tokenizer.o bitset.o  metag
rammar.o firstsets.o grammar.o pgen.o printgrammar.o -lnet -lnsl -
ldld  -lcma -o pgen
        cc -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -O -I./../Include -I.. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c
myreadline.c
cc: "../Include/longobject.h", line 80: error 1681: Must use +e or -Ae
for long long in ANSI mode.
cc: "../Include/longobject.h", line 81: error 1681: Must use +e or -Ae
for long long in ANSI mode.
*** Error exit code 1

So perhaps -Ae rather than Aa should be the option?

2) When I ran configure the first time it set up the same options, even
though my default cc was the non-Ansi-C one.  It then complained about -
Aa and -O, saying only the Ansi version understood them.  I changed my
path to get the Ansi compiler for the errors in 1).

3) Is there a reason that the build advice in the Misc/HPUX-NOTES is
not incorporated into the automatic configuration?

The non-simple item is that I have a Module I am trying to add which
needs the C++ compiler (aCC).  This is not simple because the build
scripts need to handle it correctly, and because of HP's warnings that
one should have a C++ main if linking in some C++.  I am building with
threads, because I want to use Zope. For now, I'm trying
static libraries...

I'd appreciate any help/tips/advice.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.