64-bit port of Python (was: Circular references and python)

tmick at mail.com tmick at mail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:56:21 EST 2000

In article <001901bf6faf$359ced60$182d153f at tim>,
  "Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
> One day (early 90's), right after lunch, I started the first port of
Python
> to a 64-bit platform, before I had ever looked at its code -- and
finished
> the same day.  IIRC, it turned up two spots where the code implicitly
> assumed sizeof(int) == sizeof(long), and that was it (some subtler
stuff
> turned up later, but it was by far the easiest port of *any* large C
program
> to the Kendall Square architecture;

Tim, I presume that this was a port to the UNIX 64-bit data model LP64
and not the Windows LLP64 data model where you can no longer implicitly
assume that sizeof(long) == sizeof(void *). Do you know of anyone,
other that myself, that is interested in looking at these issues in the
Python source? As well, I would be interested to know what the "subtler
stuff" was.

Trent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.