[Edu-sig] Getting it going

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Thu Feb 3 15:44:09 EST 2000

Ulf Engstrøm wrote on 949593039:
> Seems like some people have gathered up now, but still the posting is close
> to nothing.

That's probably because everyone thinks "I'm not talking yet because I
don't want to repeat things". I'm going to say everyone joining after now
to read the archives.

> With what intentions do you all get into this and what kind of discussions
> should we have?

Everythink concerning education:
	* changes to Python like case insensitivity
	* how to explain things in books, lik a variable is a box with a
	  sticker on it, a dictionairy is a... a class is a...
	* CP4E
	* ...any suggestions?

> The post from Matthias Felleisen for example wasn't really
> focusing on Python but on CP4E using any existing languages or creating one.

I wouldn't like it if Python became case sensitive. But that's me. If
there'll be a big quarrel, we can split up the interpreter. But I hope
that won't be necesarry, because it would only give more difficulties.

> Are we focusing on general CP4E or Python?

CP4E, with Python as language.

> Do we wanna build new tools,

No, we want to extent idle. One patch I want to write is that
"if a:" autoindents, "if a: # if it's true" does not. I can't find where
to change it, and that's one thing Guido pointed out: tools would make
that easier. Especially (how do you spell that word?) for kids. But I
don't think new tools would be needed for that: idle could be extended
and promoted.

> make smaller implications of the core language of Python,

Why would we?

> or discuss how to teach,

Definetely.

> which books are good for teaching
> and what books we can write? (I'm interested either way:)

I'd love to see such a book. And because it's for kids, translating
is important. I want to help with the book. I think I'm the youngest
one here who learned programming as a kid, *almost* with python. I tried
to learn Python first, but didn't understand it. After a Logo like
language, learning what variables and lists are, I did understand it.

I think that bridge should be destroyed. Not only for English speaking
kids, but also for Dutch, German, French, Japanese and Chinese speaking
kids. But translating is definately something for the future.

> I've been programming for a couple of years and stumbled onto Python 6
> months ago, and now I do all my programming in Python. I'm trying to help
> some of my friends to start programming with Python instead of C/C++ which
> they are beeing taught in school now, but don't get at all. Their progress
> in Python is a lot better however. I think Python is a perfect language to
> start out with and I'd sure like to teach it to people of any age. (I'm not
> a teacher, but I might get to teach others in my job)

I already got *five* people to learn Python instead of C, C++, Perl, Pascal
and Java :)

--
Please correct any bad Swahili you encounter in my email message!