Real Problems with Python

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sun Feb 13 14:26:47 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
> > >    o Christian Tismer's Stackless Python patch enables the use of
> > >      first-class continuations in regular Python code. This lets
> > >      people easily and in pure Python create and experiment with all
> > >      sorts of funky control structures, like coroutines, generators,
> > >      and nondeterministic evaluation.

Tim:
> > Don't tell him I said this, but that's exactly why Guido fears it (any
> > stuff he may say about destabilizing the core interpreter loop is a
> > smoke screen <0.5 wink>):  one programmer's "expressiveness" is often
> > another's "gibberish".
> > Christian needs to find a "killer app" for Stackless.
> > Perhaps the Palm Pilot port is it.  Perhaps some form
> > of migrating computations among machines is it.

Fredrik:
> I can name two right away: high-performance web servers
> and user interface toolkits.  but I fear that nobody's going
> to spend much time developing that stuff if they aren't
> assured that (at least portions) of stackless python goes
> into the core CPython distribution...

The Palm project is promising, but I didn't hear back for
a week. Maybe I have to buy a Palm?

A number of Zope gurus seemed interested on SPAM8, for
the webserver issue, but also about new control structures.

I'm still waiting for Sam Rushing to show up. He caused me
to write that stuff. :-)

All in all: I need in fact a killer app. Stackless is hard to
understand, the new possibilities are hard to figure out,
and that is a showstopper unless I can provide an easier
entrance into this.

Well, Fredrik is right. I will be the "nobody", and I will
have to build a killer app. I'm planning to show it on
OSCOM2000, thinking of Eric Raimond's words: "Don't give up!"

ciao - chris

p.s.: After SPAM8, I was asked by a colleague:
"And now? Are they still stacking snames?"

Düppelstr. 31                :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
12163 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net