Accessing a lock object in a C module

David Fisher python at rose164.wuh.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 3 07:47:51 EST 2000

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 2/3/00, 4:42:48 AM, Konrad Hinsen <hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr> wrote
regarding Re: Accessing a lock object in a C module:

> David Fisher <python at rose164.wuh.wustl.edu> writes:

> > The struct is at the top of threadmodule.c:
> > /* Lock objects */
> >
> > typedef struct {
> >     PyObject_HEAD
> >     PyThread_type_lock lock_lock;
> > } lockobject;

> Fine, but I don't have access to this from another C module. Of course
> I could copy the structure to my own code and hope that it will never
> change in threadmodule, but that's not my preferred solution.
> --

Ah, well, i see two options then, if you are still opposed to calling
PyObject_CallMethod.  You could incorporate threadmodule.c into your
program, calling it mythreadmodule.c (or something), and make calls to
your module to create lock objects.  Threadmodule.c uses the python C
api for threads, so nobody could (should?) change the implementation
out from under you.  Of course, if you wanted to use Lock, Rlock from
the threading module, you'd have to modifiy those and include them in
your project.  This sort of thing could quickly get out of hand.

Alternately, after looking at the include files python does have, and
consulting my years (zero) of language design experience, i figure
python needs a threadobject.h file, for exactly your kind of
situation.  It could have the struct for lock_oject and export the
lock methods.  I hear python 1.6 is supposed to go into alpha in a
month or so. You could submit a patch, and have it incorporated before
you've forgotten why you needed it <wink>.

What-i-know-about-language-design-could-fit-in-a-box-of-matches-witho
ut-removing-the-matches-ly yr's - david