Reducing Python's memory footprint?

Niels Diepeveen niels at endea.demon.nl
Wed Feb 23 15:56:29 EST 2000

Joel Hatch schreef:

> I think that's the problem. How do I get it to share the executable code
> between the processes? As a test, I loaded five copies of my application,
> and kept track of how much memory was being used (resident size). It looks
> like this:
>
> 5,988k for the first
> 11, 976k for two
> 17,964k for three
> 23,952k for four
> 29,940k for five

I don't know where you got those numbers, but I'm almost sure that they
are not what you are looking for. You didn't say which OS you are on,
but I'm guessing Linux. In that case it's not easy to find out how much
memory a program really needs. Watching the amount of free memory (or
swap) while you load multiple copies usually gives a better idea.

--
Niels Diepeveen
Endea automatisering