Sockets or networking library?

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Feb 24 12:52:03 EST 2000

In article <y4ct4.803$mYj.191054848 at newsa.telia.net>,
Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
>Tres Seaver <tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote:
>> If you go at it yourself, a lot of the documentation and high-level design
>> for the ACE library (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) will give
>you
>> excellent food for thought.  Although written in C++, ACE does a really
>> nifty job of encapsulating ugly platform dependencies and of presenting
>> a consistent, configurable interface to cross-platform network
>> programming.
>
>footnote: the python version of ACE is called asyncore,
>and is shipped with 1.5.2:
>
>    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-asyncore.html
>
>also see medusa:
>
>    http://www.nightmare.com/medusa

Hmm, I guess I thought of asyncore/medusa as implementing ACE's
Acceptor/Reactor patterns -- ACE does a great deal more than just make
select() scream (e.g., the Proactor pattern leverages asyncronous IO/
completion ports).  It also hides differences in threading mechanisms,
and most of the stuff Python gets from the os module.  (SYSV STREAMS are
another cool bit).