Documentation issues

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Feb 28 15:36:29 EST 2000

  For the past several months, I've continued following the main
Python list even though I've had no real time to participate in the
more interesting discussions (or even read enough of them to
understand what was being said!).  I've done this primarily to be able
to catch any documentation-related comments so that I could improve
the documentation, and I've found that I make at least some changes
based on the comments here every couple of weeks.
  But the volume of mail I get is simply too much to stay on top of
and still actually get anything done.  To help alleviate this, I've
unsubscribed from the list, but I'd like to request that suggestions
for improving the documentation be sent to me at:

	python-docs at python.org

as well as posted here or elsewhere.
  For people particularly interested in the documentation, there is
the Doc-SIG discussion list (see http://www.python.org/sigs/doc-sig/);
feel free to join us there to discuss issues relating to the further
development of Python's documentation.
  If you find a specific problem with the documentation content,
please submit a bug report to the Python Bug List:

	http://www.python.org/python-bugs/

  If you have a little time on your hands and fix a bug in the Python
documentation, patches can be sent to python-docs at python.org; see the
patch submission guidelines at:

	http://www.python.org/patches/

  If you notice something on the main Python list (comp.lang.python),
and it looks like a documentation issue, please consider forwarding a
copy to python-docs at python.org; I'd like to see comments that help
identify shortcomings in the documentation so that they may be
addressed in future releases.
  For everyone who's helped locate problems so far, and correct them,
I extend my thanks to you!  This community's concern for good
documentation has made Python's some of the best there is for a free
programming language and, in my opinion, some of the easiest to use.
It's not complete or perfect, but it's come a long way!
  I plan to release an updated set of documentation for Python 1.5.2
sometime in March, after which I'll be working on the documentation
for the 1.6 release.
  If you're interested in helping out in any way, from ideas to
creating new content to working on tools to make the documentation
more usable, please consider joining us in the Doc-SIG!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us>