Eight suggestions for Python books (long)

chris patti cpatti at black-racer.atg.com
Fri Feb 4 11:57:04 EST 2000

aahz at netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) writes:

> In article <873l7f$be4$1 at mach.vub.ac.be>,
> Thomas Hamelryck  <thamelry at vub.ac.be> wrote:
> >
> >BTW, I don't think a python cookbook would make much sense.
> >Python is so simple that in most cases you don't need to consult a
> >book to find the solution. In most other cases, the currently available
> >books suffice.
>
> I kind of agree with you; OTOH, if we want Python to be equal to Perl as
> a sysadmin tool, there needs to be a cookbook so that someone who does
> *not* know Python can use it.
> --
>                       --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

IMNSHO Python doesn't _need_ a cookbook in the same way Perl does, but
a cookbook would still be an invaluable resource.

The deal is this: Perl's syntax is so flexible (and yes I'm being nice
here, I"m coming from a Perl background.. I could use 'ambiguous' :)
that there are TOO many choices for the novice such that doing simple
things becomes difficult.

Python has no such problem, and so in that sense a cookbook isn't
strictly necessary.

The _other_ and IMNSHO equally important reason for a cookbook however
is a ready made cache of examples to draw from.

Just being able to read experts code and see the idioms they choose is
a huge boon to the beginning programmer.

Just my $.02

-Chris

Chris Patti| \ Art Technology Group||617-386-1649 \ cpatti at atg.com