Cool things about Ruby on the way out of Python?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at news.hex.net
Tue Feb 22 22:53:24 EST 2000

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Yukihiro Matsumoto
would say:
>Some points in Python which I don't like are too essential to remove
>from the language (e.g. block by indentation)

I'd think it an interesting idea to have a Lisp mapping of Python,
whereby there would be "block by parenthesis" which would provide some
interesting things:

a) The ability to create an unambiguous "pretty-printer;" you'd
   transform to "s-expression form," pretty-print *THAT,* and then
   "DES" it,

b) The ability to have a macro rewriting system, where you might write
   programs that build s-expressions, and then "DES" them.
--
"``Normal'' people  don't like  things to be  powerful or  scalable or
reusable, just pretty." -- posterkid (posterkid at psnw.com)