Using tabs effectively. Was: Why not use tabs?

Keith Dart kdart at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 6 23:21:45 EST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Joe Smith wrote:

> If one is using all tabs, then putting a comment at the top of the file
> indicating the tab setting seems like a waste.  If one is mixing tabs and
> spaces, then it is needed.  Maybe the comment should be one of the following:
> using all tabs, using all spaces or mixing with a tab setting of X.

FYI, I use only tabs and have not had a problem. I also use a a VIM
feature (which emacs also has) of automatically indicating settings with a
special line that VIM recognizes. Put the following anywhere near the top
or bottom of your Python file (or your favorite variant):

# vim:ts=4:sw=4

Keith Dart
<mailto:kdart at techie.com>
<http://www.employees.org/~kdart/>