Whitespace delimiters suck

Keith Dart kdart at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 6 23:51:20 EST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Justus Pendleton wrote:

> > I thought they gotten rid of all such languages until I came across
> Python.
> > Good programming languages should be whitespace tolerant, and most of
> them
> > are.
>
> Haveyouevertriedtore adEng lishthatdoesn 'tuse whitespaceproperly?
>
> Most human languages aren't really whitespace tolerant (well, at least
> the ones I know :-).  When I was learning Japanese, one of the hardest
> things about reading it was the fact that they don't use whitespace to
> delineate words.
>
> How come now one is out there advocating that we "fix" English by
> removing the mandated whitespace?  :')

In ancient times (using cuniform, etc.) texts were written without spaces,
or even vowels. consonants were just strung together. I guess this was
done to save space, since these forms of writing were very expensive (in
time and materials).

Keith Dart
<mailto:kdart at techie.com>
<http://www.employees.org/~kdart/>