Just tested Tcl/Tk 8.3.0 with Python: It works (on SuSE Linux)!

Bernhard Herzog herzog at online.de
Sat Feb 26 10:33:27 EST 2000

michael shiplett <walrus at ans.net> writes:

> "pf" == Peter Funk <pf at artcom-gmbh.de> writes:
>
> pf> But since the Python test suite currently does nothing with
> pf> Tkinter, my testing of the Tkinter/Tcl/Tk 8.3 combo is still
> pf> incomplete.
>
> "gvr" == Guido van Rossum <guido at cnri.reston.va.us> writes:
>
> gvr> Since Tk is interactive, it's hard to test automatically.
>
> Just another data point regarding python-1.5.2 + tcl/tk-8.3.0. Last
> week I built sketch-0.6.5[1] using the aforementioned releases on
> solaris 2.5.1, solaris 7, and linuxppc R5. It's worked without problem
> on all three platforms.

That's very good news for me! I haven't tried tcl/tk 8.3 myself yet.

It should be noted, though, that Sketch uses its own version of
_tkinter.so when run under Python 1.5.2 because of thread-related
problems with the one that comes with Python. Sketch's own version has
some modifications to make it work with tk 8.1, so it's not really a
good test for the 8.3 compatibility of Python itself.

> michael
>
> 1. a vector graphics program a la adobe illustrator.

for a URL, see my .sig

--
Bernhard Herzog   | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog at online.de  | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/