Which GUI?

ndev42 at yahoo.com ndev42 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 08:09:05 EST 2000

> I would like pro and cons for the different GUI's

I would like to add:

Is there any GUI toolkit that supports the following
requirements?

- As portable as Python.
- Does not need ANY extra library to compile, i.e. knows
  how to talk to the underlying windowing library underneath,
  whether it is X11, Motif, Windows or Mac.
- Clean design, if possible OO.
- Easy to use, to learn, and well-documented.
- Free software license.
- Offers the standard widget toolkit plus some fancy stuff
  like grids or plots.

Basically, this is (almost) Tcl/Tk. The only problem I have
with Tkinter is that it is truly Python/Tkinter/Tcl/Tk, which
means a whole bunch of software to install before you
actually can get a single widget on screen. What happened
to Rivet??

Other GUI toolkits are all more or less depending on lower-level
libraries, which make it impossible to distribute a GUI without
requesting the customer to download and install many other
libraries. Sometimes versions don't match, it becomes a nightmare
to export any GUI. Talk about portability: it is Ok to say
that wxPython is portable, but since the underlying code is not
truly the easiest thing to export for the moment, I find it
somewhat hard to declare it "portable" in that respect.

If there is any project of an OO GUI linking Python through
C-bindings to Motif, X11, Windows and Mac base windowing
libraries, I'd like to hear about it. This has been done for
Tk, why not doing it again for Python?

--
Nicolas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/