IIS + ASP + <#@Language=Python#>== performance_hit

Tom Funk no_spam_tdfunk at nettally.com_spam_sux
Tue Feb 29 19:22:05 EST 2000

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.python and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In an article posted Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:37:01 GMT,
Mark Hammond (mhammond at skippinet.com.au) said:

[re: effect of setting IIS default language to Python]
> That would be interesting to know!

I'll see if I can get them to do this, but I was actually hoping someone
here could try it for me and report back.  Sadly, I now appear to be the
only one having this problem.

> My guess is that Python is being reloaded each time.  But 8 seconds
> still seems very slow for this.

Seems pretty slow to me, too.

> I would personally just add some debug statements to pythoncom15.dll
> to report its progress.

Probably not an option.  I can't imagine I could get them to replace a
Python DLL and then restore the original later.

I once lost FTP access to my site and it took them a month to restore it.
Also, I've downloaded the FrontPage 2K Server Extensions to my FTP
directory for them to install and I've been waiting now for two weeks....
<sigh>

> However, this doesnt work for your ISP, and I dont have time to do all
> this work (ie, the testing/measuring) myself right now...

I understand, Mark.  No need, anyway, methinks.  We should be able to
figger this out.  Thanks for thinking about it, though.

--
Thomas D. Funk                           |        "Software is the lever