Tkinter vs. wxPython (was: Which GUI?)

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Thu Feb 24 09:55:35 EST 2000

Guido van Rossum <guido at cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:
> Note that Fredrik is the author of a large body of Tkinter
> documentation (too bad he is such a perfectionist that someone else
> beat him to publishing the first Tkinter book :-).  His company about
> to launch a Tkinter-based product, so his fierce defense of Tkinter
> can be explained in various ways.

yep, but those you mentioned aren't on that list ;-)

for bystanders, the book is John Grayson's "Python and Tkinter
programming".  For more info, see Alessandro Bottoni's review:

    http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=588012707

...the product is PythonWorks (see www.pythonware.com
for more info).  it's written in uiToolkit, and the layout editor
is designed to work with lots of different toolkits.  we expect
to support both Tkinter and uiToolkit early on, with support
for other toolkits coming at a later time (including HTML, of
course)

...and my book?  well, we'll see :-)

> Limiting the debate for now to Tkinter vs. wxPython, I see arguments
> on both sides.

virtually all arguments (both pro and con) has already been
mentioned in the thread.  I won't add more stuff here ("the
more you talk, the less they hear" but I will follow up some
of your comments over at the eff-bot site.  watch the daily
Python-URL site for a pointer:

    http://hem.passagen.se/eff/url.htm

to start with, here's a (slightly outdated) discussion of some
Tkinter performance issues:

    http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/fyi/fyi03.htm

> I've always said, with chairman Mao, "let 1000 flowers bloom" -- there
> aren't quire 1000 different GUI toolkits, so there's still room for a
> few more.

we're working on it ;-)

</F>