breaking the ; habit

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Feb 12 23:51:54 EST 2000

[osorronophris osorronophris]
> I'm a die-hard C++ programmer

With a pronounced stutter, to judge from the name <wink>.

> that recently took up Python for a change of scenery and am
> enjoying it greatly.  The one problem I am having is that I
> can't break myself of the semicolon habit.  I've tried chewing
> gum but it just doesn't seem to work, and I'd like to avoid
> the patch.  Any ideas?

Take heart!  Admitting you have a problem is the very first step of a very
short journey.  The next & final step is stopping.  Unfortunately, Python
itself doesn't mind if you add trailing semicolons, so you're really on your
own here.  Luckily, we'll ridicule you if you ever post code that uses them.

Frequent and earnest public confession is one good remedial measure.  Hard
to say about a support group:  you're the first to report this disease, and
I'm not sure starting semicolon-abusers at python.org wouldn't simply attract
mean-spirited mockers secretly encouraging you in your vice.

Perhaps image therapy would help:  stare hard at your semicolon key.  Try to
see it as half a human colon, bloody and oozing a little twist of waste
material.  Ewww!  You really want to put *that* in your code?!

let-us-know-how-it-goes-ly y'rs  - tim