Is 100,000 entries big for a dictionary?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sun Dec 31 07:18:40 EST 2000

[Fredrik Lundh]
> The implementation limit is currently one billion objects.
>
> If you plan to store more objects, you need to add more
> entries to the "polys" table in Objects/dictobject.c.

It's not that easy:  the table is already as big as it can be on a 32-bit
machine.  Well, we could add one more entry if we changed the polys decl
from signed to unsigned.  If you want to do that much, here's the magic line
to insert:

	2147483648 + 9,

Beyond that, it would be exceedingly painful.

not-to-mention-exceedingly-slow-on-most-current-boxes-ly y'rs  - tim