Is 100,000 entries big for a dictionary?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Fri Dec 29 18:48:12 EST 2000

Aahz Maruch wrote:
> >I'm in the process of architecting an application with medium sized data
> >sets. Python dictionaries are tempting as part of the representation
> >mechanism. How do they perform when they have 100,000 entries? Can you
> >offer any other experience with this size data set in Python?
>
> I asked this question a couple of years ago.  The Timbot says it
> shouldn't be a problem -- provided you have enough RAM.

The implementation limit is currently one billion objects.

If you plan to store more objects, you need to add more
entries to the "polys" table in Objects/dictobject.c.  See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-December/010913.html
for more info on how to calculate such entries.

if the above link made your brain hurt, try this one instead:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-December/010943.html

</F>