making a DLL

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Sat Dec 9 04:51:51 EST 2000

Will Ware wrote:
> So I searched the directory tree starting at c:\Python20 for *.lib
> files, and found c:\Python20\libs\python20.lib, but no python20_d.lib
> anywhere. So I thought to try forcing the thing to use python20.lib
> instead (Project->Settings->Link(input)->Object/library modules) and
> gave it the library path. Now I get a different error:
>
> Linking...
> c:\Python20\libs\python20.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or \
>                disk full: cannot seek to 0x39ed0908
> Error executing link.exe.
>
> I know the disk isn't full, so I conclude that python20.lib is somehow
> deemed invalid.  Was the Windows version of Python 2.0 built in some
> way that Microsoft Visual C++ would consider invalid?

it's built with Visual C++ 6.0

if you're using 5.0, you may get the "invalid file" error.

upgrading to 5.0 SP4 (a 100MB upgrade available from
microsoft.com) might solve this.

upgrading to 6.0 also fixes this, of course.

or you could build your own libraries.  since you have 5.0,
all you need to do is to fire up the developer studio, open
the project file (in the PCBuild directory), press "build", and
wait a couple of minutes...

</F>