Self-documenting Python??

nbecker at fred.net nbecker at fred.net
Wed Dec 13 08:21:26 EST 2000

Has there been any proposals to integrate a documentation system with
python?  I feel this is one feature that is sorely missing.

We have a way to put some very minimal documentation into python
sources, but there is no integrated help browser to use it.

I use RedHat Linux here.  The standard Python docs are installed in a
manner by the standard distribution that they are not accessible
except by users sufficiently knowledgeable to know where and how to
look for them.  Most people can use a web browser, but they don't know
that /usr/share/doc/python.... has something of interest.
Furthermore, documentation for user-written code is not accessible at
all.

I believe nothing would do more to further the wider acceptance of
Python than integrated help.