A Suggestion for Python Colon Syntax

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Dec 23 13:14:46 EST 2000

[A.M. Kuchling]
> Two errors in a timbot posting; time to dump him to disk and restart
> from a fresh image, I think...

That's what the end of the year is for -- it's scheduled but delayed due to
license haggles.

>> ... They picked "i". [for imaginary literals]

> They picked "j", not "i".

Actually, about half did pick "i" <wink>.  Guess this proves that I couldn't
care less either.

>> [a claim that no code in the std library ends with ";"]

> [amk at mira Lib]$ grep ';' shlex.py
>         self.pushback = [];
>         self.pushback = [tok] + self.pushback;
>             nextchar = self.instream.read(1);
>                 self.token = '';        # past end of file
>
> Been meaning to fix those...  Ooh, and there's one in multifile.py and
> netrc.py, too.

I stand by my original claim -- especially since you already checked in
repairs for all the cases you found <wink>.

making-a-claim-is-a-good-way-to-make-it-happen-ly y'rs  - tim