Python core dumping

David Allen s2mdalle at titan.vcu.edu
Tue Dec 26 22:58:42 EST 2000

I have a medium sized python application which is causing
python to segfault under Linux at very odd times.  I'd
like to get a core dump, so I can try to figure out
what on earth is going on with it, and possibly post
a bug report or something similar.  But as odd as this
sounds, the application will NOT dump core.  The
program I'm running does not use any C extensions,
it's written in pure python.

I've tried using:
Python 1.5.2 (#0, Apr  3 2000, 14:46:48)  [GCC 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2
and

Python 2.0 (#1, Dec 17 2000, 18:36:14)
[GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2

Both after issuing "ulimit -c unlimited" which gives
this:

[x at test pscr]$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    unlimited
open files                  1024
pipe size (512 bytes)       8
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          256
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

So the lack of core dumping is not due to my
environment as far as I can tell.

I did not compile 1.5.2, that's the default version
that's in Debian GNU/Linux (Woody) right now.  As
for 2.0, I only "./configure"'d it with a --prefix
option.

How can I get python to dump core so I can figure out
what's wrong with my program, or alternatively, what's
wrong with python?  Any help would be appreciated.

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/