launching a python program from GNU make (Win2K)

Albert Hofkamp hat at se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl
Fri Dec 15 03:56:39 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:22:02 GMT, jschmitt at vmlabs.com <jschmitt at vmlabs.com> wrote:
>From my experience, GNU make has the most features that I want to use.
>However, I find it so hard to use under Windows.  For example, I wrote

No kidding :-)

>a small python program that I can launch from the command line and
>execute without problems.  I can't seem to launch it from GNU make.  I

We had the same kind of problems, ever since we switched from Novell
to NT servers.
Until the arrival of the latter servers, we had a number of command-line
utils that worked fine within the limits of 'fine' as we know it on W*.

When the Novell server was replaced by an NT server, long filenames
suddenly stopped working, both on the network and locally.
Also, it appeared that 1 command-line program (e.g. GNU-make), could not
start another program (e.g. a compiler), without giving an error of any
kind.
The core of the problem was tracked to the NT server that does not handle
long filenames (even in the 21st century), although they are listed.

I don't know about W2K, but given the fact that it is an NT-based version,
I would not be surprised to see that the situation did not improve.
In fact, I consider command-line oriented programs DEAD on W* systems.

>What could the reason be and how could I fix it?  Does it have

I think the reason is W2K. The only fix I know is complain to B.G.
If that would fail for some reason, there are only 2 options left imho.
1) Switch to visual programming (aka do it the MS way),
2) Drop the platform.

FYI: We did the 2nd option.

>something to do with GNU make going out of it's way to launch sh.exe if
>it's on your hard drive, rather than launching command.exe to shell out

Nope, it is simply not possible to launch a command-line program from
another command-line program.

>PS Choosing a different make is not an option here.

I didn't suggest that :-)

Albert
--
Signature is being repaired, sorry for the inconvenience