Python vs PHP (& Java?)

echuck at mindspring.com echuck at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 27 18:19:51 EST 2000

Ben,

When I started doing serious server-side web development, I switched
from Java to Python for a serious boost in productivity. There is
already plenty of material out there on web sites and c.l.p. archives
regarding this topic so I'll leave it at that.

I also checked out PHP, but found it less complete and less flexible
than Python which is built from the beginning to be easy to use,
thorough and productive.

I naturally checked out Zope, but didn't like it for various reasons. I
ended up starting the Webware project, which provides PHP-like
capabilities as well as other features. Webware is broken into
components so you can use as little or as much as you choose.

The project is active and growing and we'll be making our fifth major
release this January.

http://webware.sourceforge.net

-Chuck

In article <mailman.977897649.4877.python-list at python.org>,
  "Ben Ocean" <zope at TheWebsons.com> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C06F88.0218F7C0
>
> Hi;
> I’m an intermediate-level programmer that’s new to Python (via Zope)
and I
> like it a lot. However, it appears to me that, while Python is a good
> replacement for Perl, it cannot replace much of the functionality of
PHP,
> which can be scripted into HTML (whereas Python, it appears, must be
> called). So, I have to wonder about the speed of Python vs. PHP for
> Internet-based applications. Python has the advantage of byte-code and
> compilation, but it’s server-side. PHP might not be as fast on the
server,
> but it doesn’t have to make as many trips back and forth between
server and
> client. Plus, I’m curious as to why Python wasn’t written in such a
way that
> it could be written directly into HTML documents like PHP. On a
similar
> subject, someone once informed me that Java was by far the best
language for
> scripting communication programs over the Internet (like chat, IRC,
etc.).
> How does Python compare? Your comments are appreciated.
> BenO

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/