Kanji

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 28 05:12:55 EST 2000

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> "James T. Dennis" <jadestar at idiom.com> writes:

>>  I have the necessary fonts installed.  But how can I access
>>  them from Python?

> Depends on your system, somewhat. I would recommend to use Tkinter;
> make sure you use at least Tk 8.3 and Python 2.0. Then, when you pass
> Unicode objects to the Tk functions, Tk should automatically select
> the right font (or else you can always explicitly select one). If you
> need to read data in other but UTF-8/16 encodings, you'll also need
> the JapaneseCodecs package. Check www.python.org/sigs/i18n-sig for
> details.

Likewise, PyQt supports Unicode. All you have to do is make sure you
feed the widgets Unicode strings, and they'll display anything you
want. I've just finished a small Unicode editor/character picker in
PyQt for which I'm going to write a Chinese IME today. And Kura is
a language database written entirely in Python and Qt which reached
feature-complete stage yesterday... The editor is part of the Kura
package:

http://www.valdyas.org/linguistics

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org