Bug: Readline getting stuck on Linux and Solaris

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 18:53:22 EST 2000

sragsdale at my-deja.com writes:

> In article <m3u28h48ja.fsf at atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk>,
>   Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hmm.  This *used* to happen on Linux (with slightly different
> > symptoms; control-C would kill the interpreter, not hang it), but the
> > bug got fixed.  A couple of things to try: does control-C do what it
> > should when you're not sitting at the ">>> " prompt?  E.g. if you type

> > ...    pass
> >
> > and whack control-C, what happens?
>
> control-C behaves normally in that case.  Python2 is able to exit from a
> while loop via control-C without problems.  However if you hit control-C
> *again* (after you've exited to the '>>>' prompt) you're back in the
> locked-up mode.

Oh goody.  Can you kill -SEGV or something the python process and post
(or send me, if it's really huge) the backtrace?  Also, it might be an
idea to do look at the stack trace a few times to check that we don't
have a memory scribbling type bug.

If you're really feeling keen, you could send me the config.h your
readline made when you configured it...

> Haven't tried building without threads, but needless to say this
> shouldn't happen even with threads.

Well, obviously not, but when mystery-bug hunting all information is
good.  Anyway, from what Quinn said, I bet your problem would go away
without threads.

Fun fun fun.

Cheers,
M.

--
  I have a cat, so I know that when she digs her very sharp claws into
  my chest or stomach it's really a sign of affection, but I don't see