Same again please for OOP

Jan Dries jan.dries at dcube-resource.be
Sun Dec 24 07:05:20 EST 2000

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> Like wise,  I am trying to get my head around OOP, but all I can find
> are basic howto make a class in C++
>
> I understand how to make classes in both Python and C++.  What I want is
> help in deciding waht would be a good class and what would not,
> preferably in a pythjon contxt, but a generic context would be wonderful
> as well.

To some extent, only experience can really help you in deciding what
would be a good class and what not. And as they say: true judgement
comes from experience; experience comes from poor judgement. There's no
cookbook for OOP, no 10 golden rules that you can blindly follow.
Still, there's a lot of material out there with the experience of other
people. And if I would have to recommend just one, I'd suggest you try
"Object Oriented Software Construction" by Bertrand Meyer, Prentice
Hall, ISBN 0-13-629155-4. It doesn't once mention Python, but when it
comes to OO, it is, in my oppinion, one of the better books out there.

Regards,
Jan